Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Flapjacks & Dice

I don't normally repeat designs but in this case a little weird.  The client asked to see a sheet of designs for the dice cups.  I'd tried to pull a sampler together a couple of times but for various unimportant reasons I didn't have one prepared at that moment.  So I referred them to the blog here and as soon as they saw the old Flapjacks & Sasquatch cup they were set.  Even so, there were a few differences (the keeper, slight differences in staining, etc).  And it was a good reminder to finish that sampler...

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Dice Cup, Ehlonna

After a just delay due to orders the Ehlonna Dice Cup is finally finished & up in the shop.  The gold on the lid is maybe more subtle than I'd intended but the weathered effect is pretty nice!

I'm in the midst of the holiday mash, churning out gifts hopefully straight up to Xmas.  Canada Post's shipping deadline to the states is 12 Dec this year and I still have a little space on the calendar between now and then, but it's filling in pretty fast.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Testimonial: Jester Dice Cup

I got this today from the client who ordered the Jester Dice Cup:

The cup arrived today, and I could not be more thrilled with it. Thank you so much for helping me refine ideas, and for executing them so beautifully!
My only problem is that I think I have to make Thanksgiving into a gift-giving occasion, because I don't think I can wait until Christmas :)

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Introducing D&D Condition Tokens

I've been trying to develop something along these lines off and on almost since I opened the shop.  With the help of the fellows at the Dungeon Master's Block I think I've finally hit on the right idea.  For the longest time I'd been trying to 3D print tiles to mark the different status effects but after chatting with some other DMs I realized sticking with leather would be the better idea.  Aside from looking better, it's going to be more durable over the long term and, given the unreliability of my little printer, more practical to produce.

That said, I did 3D print tapoffs to hammer the designs onto the tiles.  It's not a perfect system but it's working pretty well at this scale.  Coming up with 14 designs was tricky but the hardest part was the coloring.  Many stains that have entirely different names (Light Brown, Golden Rod, Yellow) tend to produce very similar results.  Since the edges were the key elements there (often the only areas visible under a mini) I touched a number of them up with acrylic paint.

The case was pretty fun too.  It's made to just fit the tokens and since oiled leather is a bit elastic there's no risk of damaging the tokens or making them hard to retrieve.  I started off using a concho to anchor the lace and that was working pretty well and looked nice.  Unfortunately when I crunched the numbers it was a little more expensive than I was shooting for so I had to replace it with a rivet.  Still looks nice though.

These are already up on the shop and you can see them here!

Monday, November 7, 2016

Dice Cup, Jester Skull

This custom commission will soon be a gift for some lucky person in Massachusetts.  The client suggested the art for the body (the skull) and the rest we worked out in short order.  There was some complicated, touch and go staining on and around the skull but I think it's come out pretty shiny in the end.  All those layers together added up to a wicked, weathered patina.