I do love me some D&D props. I've tried printing currency for our games in the past but it was never practical with the old printer. This new printer changed that though and after touching up my original models I've got it cranking out reliable coins like clockwork. It's practically a fantasy mint!
I based the coins off the D&D model (cp, sp, etc) but added the "Dragon" to balance out the high end of the scale. I've been using them during our own games for a couple months and after some tweaks the coins are turning out pretty practical. They're certainly more fun (and convenient) than making hash marks on a character sheet!
So I figure if they're handy for me they'll probably be handy for others. And if I'm going to sell them on the shop I may as well include a stylin' coinpurse. =) The standard set is about 1100gp (40 gp and 10 of all the others) which might change as I get feedback. The listing is available here.
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Monday, March 20, 2017
Kona is a pooch here in the Lower Mainland of BC who's keeper wanted a stylin' new collar with their contact info. Normally I'd use a heavier leather for a collar but I didn't have a piece large enough to cut a ~30" strap out of. So I cut a ~60" strap of a lighter leather and laminated it down to itself. It took longer to produce this way but it should be a stronger collar for all that stitching. I don't make many collars but I might start using this approach more often.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
The client was looking for a durable case for an heirloom scroll passed down within their family. In addition they'd requested a map of the ancient Persian Empire with a line of hebrew added to the case. I feel pretty privileged to have been able to make a thing that'll shelter something with such apparent providence. Plus, at 21" tall it's longer than any of my boxes so it was another opportunity to hack together a Frankenbox.
Monday, March 13, 2017
I've been cranking out gads of dice cups this month but the vast majority have been using the PHB design. This one was a custom job using art from the old Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon from the 80s. The relatively simple palette still made for some pretty tricky staining. I'd've liked to see more contrast between the background and design on the lid but it was a necessary concession to permit a glow around Thundarr's sword.
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
I think this is the third time I've made a map of Khorvaire. I sold an Eberron map over the holiday season and for brevity's sake I shipped the one on my own wall. This map replaces that one, at least until I sell another Eberron map in the middle of crunch time.
Sunday, March 5, 2017
With all the dice cup orders stacked on top of one another there were bound to be a few mistakes. Other than that one time I spilled stain on a lid though, this was the only one that resulted in scrapping material. Wasn't the first time I learned not to force a stitch. Probably won't be the last...
Thursday, March 2, 2017
This order was from a mother looking for some gifts for her daughter and son-in-law. She started with the shoulderpad (which will go with a purse she'd ordered elsewhere) and added the dice cups for good measure. I don't normally use oiled leather for the padded shoulderpads (normally it's veg-tan and deerskin) but it worked well enough here. Makes closing the stitch a real trick at the end but a little bend in the needle and that was a solvable challenge.